| Bridal shows can be informative and fun with the right attitude and preparation! Here's some great tips and ideas you should consider when attending a show
- Always take a friend or relative with you to help you cover all of the show and to act as your second opinion. Plus, you will need someone to help you carry all the stuff you will collect.
- Dress casually and wear comfortable shoes; you are going to do a lot of walking.
- When attending a bridal show, make sure you allow enough time to talk with the exhibitors, enjoy the wedding fashion show, attend seminars, and comparison shop.
- Have questions ready. Take a pen and paper along for notes. You have an entire day of planning ahead of you; make the best of it! It will be a big help with your wedding planning.
- Check the time of the wedding fashion show when you arrive. You dont want to miss that. It is the highlight of the day. Have a pen handy in case you see your dream wedding gown. You will want to note at least a quick description and the store it is from.
- First, go to any vendors that are handing out their information in bags. It will make carrying all the stuff you collect much easier.
NOTE: Consider taking your own light-weight grocery-style bag with you to carry the material, in case you don't find the vendor handing out the bags right away.
- Take anything that is handed out or offered to you, even if you're not sure if it is something you're interested in right now. You might decide in the future to include it and you will have information readily available.
- Take address labels with you printed with your name, address, phone number and wedding date. You will be surprised how much writing this will save you at the show.
NOTE: Some shows even provide preprinted labels with advance registration. Check when you register in advance.
- Take a clipboard with you for a stable writing surface; better than your friend's back or balanced on your hand.
- Talk to others attending the show. Other brides-to-be are a great source of ideas, advice, and camaraderie.
- Enter every contest that you can. It's very common for lots of prizes to be given away. And you have as much chance of winning as anyone else who is there. Who knows, you might even win a honeymoon or your gown!
NOTE: Prize Giveaways and a Word of Caution - Just about every wedding vendor at these bridal shows, has some type of promotion or prize giveaway, from a drawing for FREE wedding invitations, a FREE engagement portrait or a FREE tuxedo for the groom with rental of four others. Be aware that some of these "free" prizes may have a few strings attached.
Also, realize that when you put your name in for a drawing, that you may not win a prize, but you'll most certainly get on every wedding-related mailing list for the next year!
- Bring your datebook with you so you can schedule your appointments for follow up. When you find a vendor you would like to follow up with, take a pen and write what struck you as appealing about them on their literature. When you get home and are faced with brochures from 14 different photographers, your note may be the only thing you have to remember which ones you liked and why.
- It is nice if your fiancÚ attends with you IF he is interested. About 30% of grooms-to-be do attend, so he won't be the only one there!
- When the show is over, take your bridal show buddy out to lunch, dinner or at the very least, for coffee at Starbucks.